Friday, December 28, 2012

Reflections



"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many - not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."

- Charles Dickens 
 
 
 
 
 
Good Evening EWI!
 
Well, it is well past closing time, but I must get this out as it is Friday, after all!  "No slacking Karen!".  Truth be told, I have spent most of my first day back buried in IT issues.  Someone in our company thought today would be a good day to convert our email server.  Why do techies always treat you with total disdain when you are having issues following their instructions?  Anyway, all well that ends well, and I did learn a few things about my Blackberry today...previously undiscovered features, which is always fun!
 
As we enter this weekend and the countdown to a New Year, my wish for each of us is to find the time for a quiet moment to reflect upon all the wonderful things you have learned, the new friends made and the impact made on others' lives through our membership in EWI.
 
As someone once said, "What does not kill you will only make you stronger". There were many moments in 2012 where I thought that it could not get worse, but it did. I for one, choose not to dwell on those moments, but instead learn the lessons presented and count my blessings.
 
If I were asked to summarize what 2012 has meant for EWI, I would respond that it has been a year of immense learning for all.  Collectively, we have ran the organization without an Executive Director for more than seven months of this year.  While less than ideal circumstances to be sure, I know that the staff and both last year's board and this one would tell you that we have all learned a lot.  That is a blessing and if you like, one more example of how EWI imparts Business Literacy!
 
We introduced the Standards of Excellence for all Chapters to follow as a blueprint to success.  That is a blessing.
 
We embraced One Vision and started our 20 Mile Marching!  That is indeed a blessing!
 
We have moved to a new database system that will ease Chapter operations and raise our professional image.  That too, is a blessing.
 
Most important though, we donated over $550K collectively in our communities and that is a HUGE blessing that will continue to make positive ripples in the world for years to come.  So, I say, "Congratulations EWI" - on persevering, rising and overcoming 2012!
 
Wishing you all a Happy and Prosperous New Year!  I raise my glass to EWI as we enter 2013 knowing that we have so many special moments to come.  Cheers!
 
- K
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment