Friday, April 26, 2013

Feedback






 
 


"Feedback is the breakfast of champions."
- Ken Blanchard
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Good Day EWI!
 
Well, it has been a crazy week after returning at 1am from Chattanooga on Monday morning.  It seems like I just have not yet caught up.  I must give a huge thank you to Nancy Harrison for driving me all the way to Atlanta to catch my return flights after my Chattanooga - Atlanta leg got cancelled Sunday afternoon! 
 
What a glorious experience Spring Conference was!  So many passionate, enthusiastic  members and guests in attendance.  I was so very proud to be a member of EWI.  The Chattanooga Chapter outdid themselves with their warm hospitality and genuine welcome to all!  The speakers they secured for the event were all amazing and so very inspiring.  I always hope for one or two take-away items from a speaker, but I had dozens this time!  My favourite had to be the concept that sometimes we have to shatter glass walls before we can shatter the ceiling.  My heartfelt congratulations to President Ani Yacoubian and all her Chapter member representatives on delivering true professionalism with EWI style!
 
We had so much fun at conference.  After a wonderful AoL module by our beloved Lori Giovannoni on Friday, we were able to partake in a tour of the city on a double-decker bus, followed by dinner on a river cruise.  What a gorgeous part of the U.S. Tennessee is!  I had never seen a live holly tree before and was amazed at the size and beauty.  The dogwoods and cherry trees were in bloom too.  Wonderful!
 
For me, the highlight of the Spring Conference, and most probably for my year, was sharing the incredible biographical video of our Founder, Lucille Johnson Perkins with all attendees. I know I have mentioned it before, but this moving story compiled and told by Anna McCutcheon, EWI of San Diego, makes my heart full. For her to dedicate so much time and energy to this project of finding our Founder, has been, quite simply, a miracle. I encourage all of you to watch you inbox on Monday, April 29th for a very special anniversary message.
 
The most precious gift I receive in this role is to be able to attend events wherein I get to speak firsthand to members, or when I receive an email or phone call from you.  Taking the time to give feedback is not an easy thing to do, but so essential to those of us serving at the corporate level.  We greatly appreciate hearing from you, the member!  It is only through consistent feedback that we will become a truly member-driven organization.  For those of you who have reached out, my deepest thanks for staying engaged!  Thank you Betty Loveless, EWI of Memphis for the wonderful chat we had today!
 
Using your voice to give feedback is critical to our organization.  For example, I was thrilled to announce at Spring Conference your choice of our LCAM 2014 city!  After San Diego this year, we will be headed to Arlington, VA in the fall of 2014!  I know that the Washington Chapter is very excited, as am I, at the decision you have made.  I know it was a tough decision between the two short-listed cities of Arlington and Philadelphia, and as such, want to thank EWI of Philadelphia for their bid, along with the other Chapter cities who expressed interest.
 
I would like to thank the LCAM Site Selection Committee for managing this process.  I know they are already hard at work on receiving bids for LCAM 2015 in the Central Division.  This committee falls within the Events Committee, which is Chaired by Kerry Feltenberg, EWI of Phoenix and Vice Chaired by Nancy Harrison, EWI of Chattanooga.  Thank you both for all that you do!
 
In closing today, as we move towards Monday, our official 75th Anniversary, I would like to strongly suggest that you take the time on Monday to reach out to thank that one member who has inspired you and sustained your passion for EWI throughout your membership.  Our mentors give so very much of themselves, over and over again and without that steady hand to guide us, applaud us and yes, sometimes lovingly wrap us on the knuckles, we would not learn the lessons afforded to us in our leadership roles.  Let's make April 29th a day of sincere "Thanks!"
 
Have a wonderful weekend!
- K
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment