Friday, October 26, 2012

The Scariest Thing Of All

Happy Halloween!
 
What a special time of year this is for those who love Halloween!  I happen to be one of those that adore this time of year, however I know that not all share that joy.  If you happen to fall into that category, you can skip this next paragraph!
 
So, flying home from Montreal last night, I decided to just try to relax and enjoy the 4.5hr flight.  I had my aisle seat, exit row with no one beside me and thankfully, was on Air Canada as they offer movies and TV shows on demand for free.  So, what movie did I pick for my first half of the flight?  "Dark Shadows", with Johnny Depp and Michelle Pfeiffer.  It seemed like a great choice with Halloween being next week.  What a great, fun-filled, spooky tale with lots of laughs!  A definite must see if you are renting a movie off iTunes this weekend.  Johnny, or "Captain Jack" as I most often refer to him, is one of my favourite actors and he certainly did not disapoint in this one.  The pleasant surprise was seeing Michelle Pfeiffer back on the big screen.  It seems like forever since she starred in a movie. 
 
Given my delight with her, my second movie of choice was "People Like Us", again with her.  A mini "Michelle" marathon, if you will.  Okay - this one is a definite MUST see for everyone.  A tale about how fruitless it is to hang on to old hurts and misconceptions about people.  Truly, is not judging one another the scariest thing of all in life?  How easily you can miss out on the fabulous gifts others can bring to your life by labelling or being too quick to dismiss.  I always try to remind myself that there are no coincidences in life.  That everyone that you meet or cross paths with is indeed an intentional happening in the grand scheme of your life.  The question then when dealing with those we find challenging is to ask oneself, "What am I supposed to learn from this encounter?"
 
Can you imagine what the world would be like if we met everyone with an open stance and mind?  Are we, in our lives as EWI member representatives being "open" and welcoming to those guests and new members?  I truly hope so!  We must always remember that there are no second chances for making a great first impression. 
 
Monday was our first official board meeting of the year.  What a fabulous group of women with truly "open stances" I have beside me.  I thank them for the blessings of having them in my life and being able to lead such an amazing organization. 
 
Today, my first day back from my business trip, was spent catching up on emails, listening to all the great ideas flowing with the 75th Anniversary Committee and then mapping out plans with the Personnel Committee.  A quiet week for EWI, but will need to do some work on the November Connect message this weekend. 
 
Have a great weekend everyone and I hope that somehow a little bit of that Halloween magic will visit your front door!  BWA HAA HAA!
 
- Karen




4 comments:

  1. Booo! Have a Happy Halloween, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I was going to say "Boo" too, Mary Helen!!

    BOO!

    We are celebrating Hallothanksmas this weekend at my house - come on by!

    And our Wednesday (Halloween!) church service is going to be pretty special I think...I have decorations...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great message Karen! You bring forward some words of wisdom on how easy it is to miss out on the fabulous gifts others can bring to your life if you are not careful.

    Okay, and Nancy, I have to ask...Hallothanksmas - What do you eat for a meal like that? This also must be a "nightmare" to decide what to wear, music selections, and how to decorate? What fun it would be to have a scary Christmas tree, Baked Halloween treats and with a truly carved turkey feast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy - You're WAY ahead of me!! We know we'll have a fire on the deck and various nibbles and drinks...that's about it for now!

    The house is torn to shreds because I just repainted a room and we're gearing up to have new carpet installed in the bedrooms/office next month, so I haven't gotten very far with party prep!

    Fortunately the majority of the invite list consists of Mike's geeky friends and they are the most easy-to-please group around! How's that for judging? ;-)

    ReplyDelete