Thursday, November 1, 2012

Trusted Advisors


 
"Advice is like snow - the softer it falls, the longer it dwells upon, and the deeper it sinks into the mind."
-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
 
 
 

Dear EWI Member Representatives,
 
 
I am writing this a day early as tomorrow I will be flying to Detroit to join in the second annual Midwest Board Forum, hosted by EWI of Detroit-Windsor.  I am so excited and looking forward to spending time with each of the six participating Chapters... Detroit-Windsor, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Milwaukee , Fort Wayne and Chicago!
 
What a phenomenal event Board Forums are within the EWI organization.  The ability to gather and share challenges and best practices is a wonderful exercise.  If you have not yet participated in, or currently do not have a forum in place with neighboring Chapters, I encourage you to investigate the possibility.  Deb Saldana, EWI of San Antonio is Vice Chair of Board Forums and would love to chat with you about the value.
 
Forums started as a Chapter initiative and have grown organically since then.  I am always excited to receive an invitation to attend.  Cortney Ewald-Ihde and I will be there this weekend, representing the Corporate Board. 
 
Being able to take the advice of another is not always easy, but I find, it is always thought provoking.
 
This week I can definitely attest to the value of listening to trusted advisors.  What would we do without having someone to turn to in moments of indecision or to bounce ideas off?  I am so grateful to the advisors I have within EWI!  You know who you are and I cannot thank you enough for the feedback I received from all of you this week.  When one is passionate about something, it can be very hard to put a reign on things, sit back and evaluate from another perspective. 
 
The thing I find with advice, is that it is all about how it is delivered.  I love this quote at the top of the page...something to keep in mind when we are asked to deliver advice, to be sure!  Thankfully, I was covered in gently falling snow!
 
Sadly this week, we accepted notice from EWI of Tampa Bay that they are dissolving their Chapter.  We are so saddened and hope that the members might consider staying involved as Members At Large.  I would like to thank the firms and member representatives of EWI Tampa Bay for all of their dedication and commitment to EWI over the years.  You will be missed.
 
On the office front, conversion to our new database is today and so far, so good!  The staff are all in training today with MemberPoint.  We cannot wait to see what this new technology can deliver for all of us by way of easing Chapter operations!
 
I want to thank Kim Fankhauser for stepping in to the role of Expansion Chair.  Kim, you are a godsend!  Thank you Benita for running this Committee until we had someone in place.
 
Wishing you all a fabulous weekend!
 
- Karen

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about EWI of Tampa Bay. Glad, though, to read that Kim Fankhauser will chair expansion.

    Your message was timely as I was asked just today to provide someone with feedback. I am so grateful to have the Samuel Taylor Coleridge quote to advise me as I contemplate how to word my response.

    ReplyDelete