Friday, July 26, 2013

"To Boldly Go"










"Be courageous.  It's one of the only places left uncrowded."
- Anita Roddick
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Good Day EWI!
 
There is something about this quote that makes me laugh...not because it is an absurd thought, but rather because it is so true!  If we use the current scenario unfolding in most Chapters right now wherein incoming Presidents are struggling to fill their boards I think this quote is most apropos for today's blog. 
 
I also LOVE this photo...can you close your eyes and remember what it felt like your first time on a diving board?  Sweaty palms as you climbed the ladder, hoping the kids in front of you would not jump too fast.  Feet slipping on the wet rungs and that awful feeling in your stomach?  If you were brave enough and actually got to the top, you then had that long walk to the edge. The board was wet, slippery and oh, so high!  I can see it and almost still feel it, but what we all now know is that incredible feeling when you actually gathered up your courage (mostly because the kid behind you was whining for you to hurry up) and jumped!  The water felt so good once you were in.  Exhilarating....so much so that you swam to the edge, busted a grin, patted yourself on the back and then rushed to line up to do it all over again!
 
Stepping onto a Chapter board may not be quite so intimidating and scary as that first jump for all, but I think it can be for many of us.  Remember the rewards...because, guaranteed you will have a treasure chest of them when you come out of the "pool" on the other side!
 
You may be hesitating in accepting that nomination or request from your Vice President, thinking, "I don't know how to swim".  Well, like any dog who gets thrown into water, everyone learns pretty easily how to swim or float their way through board service.  Having reaped so many benefits, new skills, friendships in my own service with EWI, all I can say is, "Jump!"  Like that feeling of cold water at the end of a dive, stepping into board service is refreshing, invigorating and full of essential life lessons and skills to be learned.
 
Well, I am tuning 50 on Monday.  I think I also loved this quote and image because that is the stance I am going to take heading into this new decade of life.  Embrace it and love what comes because what choice does one have, really?  A friend asked me this week if I was upset or anxious about this birthday and really, I have to say that I am okay with it!
 
When I think back to the one birthday that really slayed me (26th), what made me feel that way is that I had this "master list" of all the things I wanted to have accomplished by the time I was 25 and when I hit 26 and did not have most of them checked off, I crumbled.
 
Now, I count my blessings each and every day and am so thankful for all that has been bestowed upon me at this stage of my life, including this honour of serving as your Corporate President.  Which, by the way, all started with me taking the jump 10 years ago and saying, "Yes, I will be the Program Director for my Chapter."
 
So, in closing, my fervent wish is that every member of EWI is offered the opportunity to serve at the board level.  Collectively, we offer over 600 board positions a year..are you going to be in one of those? 
 
Have a great weekend everyone!  Go for a swim...looks like too much fun not too!
 
- K
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment